Wednesday, December 16, 2009

It's Not the Tool, It's the Carpenter!

My dual careers consist of being a printer and also a goat herder. Except in passing, this blog will have very little to do with either. A goat herder from 200 years ago would easily recognize what I do with our flock of nubian goats. Within 2 minutes he could tend the flock and probably do a much better job of it then we do today. A printer from Johann Gutenberg's era might recognize a printing press but he would have very little idea of how to get ink on paper. Technology has advanced the process so much that Herr Gutenberg would have to be re-trained.
Now, if Old Tom Morris were to suddenly appear on one of our modern golf courses he would have no trouble understanding the technological advances and immediately could play a round. So in a roundabout way, I disagree with the concept held by many that technology has ruined golf. That said, I have reservations about how the game is developing.
Do not forget that this column is being written by The Commish of The Bad Golfers Association, and in that context I am reflecting what I think are the views of those of us that are no longer deluded about ever playing on the PGA Tour, the Champions Tour, or even the Hooters Tour. (However, many of us still hope to some day have a caddy from Hooters for a round. Shhh, just in case Mrs. Commish is listening!)
We are the great unwashed of the golfing crowd. We may play once a season or, more likely, 20 or more times a year. We like to hit longer drives, we like to spin our golf balls off the green to impress our friends. If we knew how to play we would hit our approach shot past the hole and spin it back close. But, we just like to see the ball spin and pretend we can be just like Tiger, er... Phil.
Technology helps us to do this. Our scores have not really improved but our enjoyment of playing the game has. My problem with technology is that the course architects feel that courses have to be lengthened. Hell no. Years ago a 425 yard hole played like a par 5 for me, today it's a real par 4. I like it like that. If I hit a 240 yard tee shot (which does happen occasionally) then I have a chance to hit the green with my hybrid. If I miss, then I have a chance to save par with my sharp grooved sand wedge. Will I save par? Not likely, but I have a chance. Twenty years ago, when I was, coincidentally, 20 years younger, the same hole would play like this:  Driver (180 to 200 yards), 3 iron (140 yards, right), 6 iron chip out, pitching wedge approach, then either a chip and 2 putts or else three putts from 50 feet away. Technology lets me play a better and more fun round of golf.
This same technology in the hands of good golfers has made courses too easy. Hence, 7200 yard courses are becoming more the norm. This is not how I want to play every week. The solution, to the BGA at least, is simple. PGA quality golfers (remember, "These guys are good!") can shoot under par using hickory shafts and woods that are actually made out of wood. Why not have "professional level" clubs that would put the emphasis on shotmaking and controlling your ball. Let technology have its way with golf balls 'cause all of us want to play what the pros play; but, since we don't play the clubs they play anyway, why not make the differences in sticks even more pronounced.
Golf would not be unique in this. Baseball has used different bats for play at different levels for decades and the game has flourished. Golfers at the highest levels would use golf clubs that are more of a throwback to the old days. They could adjust much more easily then the great unwashed of golf can adjust to playing 8000 yard courses in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment