Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Merry Christmas

Please don’t take offense. I meant no harm. I merely wished to convey to you the joys and blessings of this time of the year that is so important to many throughout the world. How can I express it, what should I say? I know…”Merry Christmas.”

Once upon a time, in an America far away, we said these words and didn’t have to look over our shoulder to make sure someone wasn’t taking names. Today we feel compelled to be so “politically correct” that even when we say “Merry Christmas” we feel guilty. Guilty of what you ask. Guilty of displeasing our elected and unelected betters, of course.

Let’s make this the year that we begin to let the joys and blessings that we feel be freely given away to those we meet, whatever our or their religious or secular persuasion. Wish me a Happy Chanukah and I will smile with gratitude. Wish me a Happy Kwanza and the same feeling of warmth will be felt. Wish me “Season’s Greetings” and I will thank you but in the back of my mind I am asking myself, “What exactly are those Season’s Greetings?” Does that mean “Winter will be cold this year” or “Spring is still a long way away?” What does a “season” mean when it gives me a greeting?

Make this the year that we express what we feel and let those that want to tell us how we should feel and how to “correctly” express those feelings wrestle with their own demons and leave us alone.

From the BGA Central Office and The Commish let me wish to one and all a very Merry Christmas. There, very simple, very sincere. Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment